Efficient, Joyful Word Study KG-G2
You know foundational skills matter tremendously for your young readers and writers. But sometimes you wonder, do some word study practices have more of an impact than others? What content is critical? And with an already packed schedule, how can you fit it all in and make sure it transfers into their reading and writing? Whether you’re teaching Readers’ and Writers’ Workshop or using a different approach this training will leave you with instructional takeaways to use tomorrow for K-2 grammar, vocabulary, phonics and spelling.
- Session 1: Why Word Study?
- Session 2: Taking a Word-Curious Stance in Teaching and Learning
- Session 3: Phonological and Phonemic Awareness
- Session 4: Teaching Phonics in Engaging Ways
- Session 5: What Matters Most in Word Study for Early Learners?
- Session 6: The Importance of Morphology
- Session 7: Inquiring into Morphology in the Early Years
- Session 8: Teaching Grammar Through Inquiry
- Session 9: Scheduling for Word Study
- Extra Resources: FAQs in International Schools
- How can we maximize transfer into reading and writing after our word investigations?
- How can we be efficient when differentiating Word Study?
- Identify the building blocks of a robust word study program in KG-G2
- apply planning techniques for inquiry-rich instruction in phonological awareness, phonics, grammar, and vocabulary
- Fully Asynchronous
- About 2.5 hours of video content to access for 6 months and a padlet of resources
Natashya Hays has spent much of her 22 years in education as a classroom teacher, putting children at the center of teaching, learning and decision making. Natashya has worked as a literacy intervention teacher, ELL support teacher, a PYP/Curriculum coordinator, and also a literacy coach. She has lead out on international conferences about Word Study, training teachers in how to make phonics, grammar, and spelling efficient and joyful. Natashya excels at helping teachers establish inquiry-rich Readers and Writers Workshops in schools around the world.