- Instructor: ies
Course Provider: Erin Kent Consulting (EKC)
Book Clubs can be a game changer for engagement and achievement in G3-G10. They bring authenticity, joy, relevance, and sophistication to any reading classroom.
● Session 1: Why Book Clubs? What are the key components of this powerful vehicle for reading achievement and engagement?
● Session 2: How might you group students based on the type of book club you’re launching? And how might you approach book choice for each club?
● Session 3: How can we powerfully launch book clubs in our classrooms?
● Session 4: What are impactful pedagogical moves we can use when teaching into book clubs?
● Session 5: How might we scaffold students in building academic talk? What’s needed to ignite powerful conversations?
● Session 6: What are common problems with book clubs and how might we proactively troubleshoot?
● Session 7: What high leverage content might we use when teaching into book clubs? What might book club assessments look like?
● Session 8: How might we celebrate book club growth at the end of a unit?
● Leave with experiences and information around
– Book club logistics (creating groups, organizing time, choosing texts, how to assess, etc.)
– Ways to teach powerfully into club work and overcome “club plateaus”, moving students to next-level thinking and academic talk
– “Next Generation” Book Clubs by harnessing the power of translanguaging to enrich and extend collaborative learning in multilingual environments
– How to bring the best of book clubs into online settings
● Fully Asynchronous
● About 2.5 hours of video content to access for 6 months and a padlet of resources
Flexible Schedule / Self-paced
Erin Kent Consulting (EKC) is a collaborative of literacy strategists specialized in working with international schools. We provide customized professional learning experiences for K-12 educators that fit a school’s unique context and hold tight to research-based essentials. We’ve worked with over 100 international schools on six continents to grow joyful, responsive literacy learning. Trainings are offered in English, Arabic, Chinese, Spanish, French, and Portuguese. We offer a variety of online options for staff development: administrative consults on K-10 literacy reform or refinement, coach or lead teacher mentorship programs, live or recorded workshops on literacy topics, live Q&A sessions with grade level teams or an entire faculty, action research mentorship around a unique topic of interest for your school/country context, etc. Digital learning shrinks our already small world of international education. Reach out when you need us; you’ve got literacy experts ready to answer your questions on K-10 Readers Workshop, Writers Workshop and Word Study in international schools.
Erin Kent consults with international schools around the world. She helps teachers and administrators grow customized approaches to K-10 balanced literacy that fit an international school’s unique context. Erin taught literacy for many years in urban, independent, and international schools before becoming a literacy coach and then P-12 Director of Curriculum and Instruction where she led a team of 13 instructional coaches and advised K-12 administrators on establishing data-based educational initiatives. Erin has spoken many times at Columbia University Teachers College in New York City and at international conferences on Readers/ Writers Workshop methodology, literacy coaching, curriculum development, and literacy leadership.
Cailin Minor is an internationally experienced educator, literacy coach, and curriculum specialist. She has worked extensively with the Teachers College Reading and Writing Project Units of Study curriculum as well as teaching reading and writing through the workshop model. Cailin is passionate about instructional coaching, and holds an advanced certificate in Cognitive Coaching. She currently serves as a senior strategist for Erin Kent Consulting where she specializes in supporting schools in launching and sustaining the TCRWP Units of Study and workshop model in a way that supports a school’s unique needs. Cailin works with schools to create a tailored literacy vision and model that supports the specific ELL and cultural needs of a student population, the host country’s language, and the time and structures of the school. Cailin also works with schools to create a dynamic coaching program and collaborative practices that foster the literacy growth and goals.
It was truly astounding how positive the feedback was…, even from some of our most skeptical members of staff! Everyone gained a huge amount of knowledge and understanding… Not only were teachers upskilled, but there was also a sense of renewed motivation and energy for literacy teaching… It is nearly two years on, and we are still drawing on this energy! Administrators were equally impressed with the work and on a personal note, as Leader of Literacy, Erin’s coaching was some of the best PD I have ever had.
Thank you for everything; such a wonderful and uplifting course! I truly enjoyed every minute. It was so well put together, informative, and helpful in all respects!
Olivia Montero Petraglia
These sessions have been some of the best professional learning I’ve had in my twenty-three years in education. (EKC) understands hardworking teachers, the constraints of international school schedules, and the necessity of differentiation, and the workshops keep all learners in mind. I know that after a course, I feel inspired and have ready-to-use tools and strategies to apply right away.